Tuesday, May 1, 2012

List-Poem-Tuesday Loves


I was doing some light cleaning tonight, on a work-in-progress I like to call my "fridge collage" when this jumped out at me (it was hiding behind a poem hand-written out by my aunt, by Rumi, a way-in-the-last-century mystic and, it may be said, amazing poet).

I don't know who wrote this (if you do, please let me know, either by comment or by email).  All I know is that I've read this over and over again, whenever I was in the depths, and it always somehow helped. I think that my boss's mother gave it to me, years ago, photocopied lovingly on our office photocopier. She was a swell woman, let me tell you. An inspiration. She typed things on a typewriter in her cubicle, and it was papered, from top to bottom, side to side, with drawings and letters from her thirteen grandchildren. After she got really sick I was entrusted with the task of dis-engaging these paper treasures from the cubicle 'walls' and putting them away in a box, along with the typewriter and her adding machine. I still miss her dearly.
Here it is:

15 Things You Probably Never Knew or Thought About:
1.  At least 5 people in this world love you so much they would die for you.
2.  At least 15 people in the world love you in some way.
3.  The only reason anyone would ever hate you is because they want to be just like you.
4.  A smile from you can bring happiness to anyone.
5.  Every night, SOMEONE thinks about you before they go to sleep.
6. You mean the world to someone.
7.  If not for you, someone may not be living.
8.  You are special and unique.
9.  Someone you don't even know exists loves you.
10.  When you make the biggest mistake ever, something good comes from it.
11.  When you think the world has turned its back on you, take a look: you most likely turned your back on the world.
12. When you think you have no chance of getting what you want, you probably won't get it. But if you believe in yourself, probably, sooner or later, you will get it.
13.  Always remember the compliments you received.  Forget about the rude remarks.
14.  Always tell someone how you feel about them; you will feel much better when they know.
15.  If you have a great friend, take the time to let them know that they are great.

Pretty simple stuff, isn't it? Yet powerful.

I'm trying to be more positive (ongoing quest) as well as sharpen my blog-skills so that I don't lag and have a long time between entries.

So here are some Tuesday "loves":

May. I love May. Not too hot (usually), not too rainy (usually), great running weather, people in better moods (myself included), the start of what I like to call 'the summer long-weekends', and there are flowers blooming everywhere. All good.

This blog: http://lettersforourdaughters.com/ which I found on this blog:
http://www.or-so-i-feel.blogspot.ca/
Don't wait for an explanation, just visit these two blogs. GOLD I tell you.

When my friend K sends me cool spiritual stuff like this:
"There is an Indian Belief that everyone is in a house of four rooms: A physical, a mental, an emotional and a spiritual. Most of us tend to live in one room most of the time, but unless we go into every room everyday, even if only to keep it aired, we are not complete."
-- Rumer Godden


Good hair days, good hair tips. Go here: http://www.hdofblog.com/
I recently started using hairspray. I know. Elementary. I can't believe the difference. At Target over the weekend I found a Pantene anti-humidity hairspray. In a 2-pack. For $ 4.98.  I am giving one to my mom. I've also been doing a weekly treatment of macadamia nut-argon-oil magic. Great results.

Coffee. Delicious, and as I read in an article in Oprah last week, a great metabolic booster. Double benefit!

New England.

Mike's family and extended family, many of whom I had the privilege of meeting on the weekend. Billie and Roger (Rock) are going to get their own posting. They are going on 56 years of marriage. Over dinner Friday night I made them tell me their life story. Beyond fascinating. We have so much to learn from our older relatives--they are teachers and guides through this life.
As always, having the opportunity to talk to a man in his seventies or eighties, I feel such a wistful longing for my father to have reached that age. How much he would have had to share by then.

Another Tuesday thought: I miss you Dad. I love thinking about the time we did have. How funny things could be even through the horror of illness. The big pink bird on the windowsill. How you would laugh so hard at something you would start to cough. How dignified you were during the doctors' meeting that day in your hospital room, all those people surrounding you, with all these plans, and you in your hospital gown, listening intently. No signs of fear, though you must have felt lots. Only 'calm acceptance'.  I kept all your notes. I saved all your emails.

That's me in a nutshell on a Tuesday.
Thanks for reading.




No comments:

Post a Comment